The player identification and selection process for the 2021 season is carried out over a number of months in 2020, replacing the ‘one off trial day’ process. This is more consistent with our philosophy of long-term player development. Some of the issues with the ‘one off trial day’:
- Players can miss attending the trial day due to sickness, injury, holiday, other sport commitments, not aware they are on.
- Players unfamiliar with the process of a selection trial may become nervous, conservative, and not perform to their potential in a one off trial scenario.
- Due to the volume of players attending the trials and the limited time to conduct the trial, the process does not allow for a thorough assessment of a players potential.
- The assessment of players can only be limited to technical skills, important attributes related to attitude and the capability to develop in the long term cannot be assessed.
- The process can be stressful for players and parents.
2021 Selection Process
- The process will stretch over a number of months in 2020 – feedback on more players, multiple times, in different environments, from different sources.
- Gaining input from a number of different stakeholders including NSFA Clubs – to reach more players and provide a more holistic assessment of each player.
- Take into consideration as many players as possible born in the eligible age groups.
Players are identified and feedback is obtained in a number of different ways throughout the 2020 season:
- Existing players are continually monitored and reviewed during the season.
- Northern Tigers Development Squad players are continually monitored and reviewed during the season.
- We request Clubs to identify and recommend potentially talented players at their club.
- Players are observed playing in the NSFA community competitions.
- Players identified at XLR8 programs – XLR8 Info – Click Here
- Players can submit an expression of interest via the Northern Tigers website – Expression of Interest – Click Here
- Players identified/recommended/EOI may be invited to train with existing Northern Tigers players in the Northern Tigers environment or attend separate trial sessions.
Selection Process Timeline for 2021
March to October 2020
Identify, trial, select players from community football
If there are any places available trials may be conducted to fill any remaining places. Information on available places and potential trials will be advertised on www.northerntigersfc.com.au at this time